[linux-audio-dev] Programming language

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Feb 23 10:35:31 UTC 2007

"Carlo Trimarchi":

> My intention was to build an end-user application.
> One plays notes on the keyboard and it memorizes and shows them on a
> staff. There you can modify the duration of a note and other things
> and then playback.
>
> I wanted to implement some other functions: for example, one before
> choose the notes on the staff, the program plays it but with no sound
> and you have to follow the note and it tells you the errors in playing
> them. For example, wrong notes, bad timing...
>
> And well, I don't know yet what else. I have to think.
>
>> ad 1) see the other answers
>> ad 2) use pd (pure data), supercollider or something similar

Another alternative, in case you like lisp (who knows), is to use snd with
the realtime extension:
http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/snd-rt/

I used it to make the san dysth softsynth:
http://www.notam02.no/~kjetism/sandysth/

Its performance is pretty good, but not perfect. So if that is
important, you can at least you can use snd to make a draft of your
program before you do some hardcore c or assembler programming.
(well, you can define your own functions in c though)