[linux-audio-dev] audiogui

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Feb 27 15:45:18 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:40, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> radial is for weirdos with the motor skills of a clockmaker.

Correct!  But where have all the radial supporters gone?  There were
enough to sustain quite a flamewar about this a couple of years back.

I prefer linear in both axes (right or up to increment, left or down to
decrement), so there may be some scope for disagreement after all.

I've been considering making a small library of Qt4 widgets based on the
ones in the current SVN of Sonic Visualiser -- dial (based on the
RG/qsynth one), thumbwheel, panner, fader (based on Hydrogen).

They aren't particularly beautiful or consistent to look at -- if they
were, I wouldn't just be considering it, I'd have bundled them up a
while ago.  But what they do do is work consistently: click and drag to
adjust, without any inadvertant jumps on plain clicks; double-click to
open a text field edit window provided by the widget; middle-click or
ctrl+left-click to reset to default; mouse wheel supported.  They all
(except panner) support attaching a mapper object that translates
between the underlying floating point values and screen integers, so
you can use them for things like logarithmic scales and get the correct
mapping and units for their automatic tooltips and the edit window.

Chris