[linux-audio-dev] alsa mixing

Milan Mimica milan.mimica at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 22:23:17 UTC 2007

Hello!

We're designing a new sound subsystem for allegro game programming
library, and we would like to take advantages of multiple hardware voice
capabilities.

On linux, ALSA is the only software that possibly could expose API for
such a capability, is that right? It is possible to open multiple PCM
outputs and play sound at the same time on all of them. The problem is
that we miss some basic mixing features, like panning a mono sound on
multichannel output for example. A similar feature is implemented as
'route' ALSA plug-in that can be specified in .asoundrc file, but it is
not flexible enough.

So the question is, does ALSA provide such functionality? If not, which
library could? Is it possible that linux OS doesn't provide any API to
take advantage of such hardware capabilities?

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net