[linux-audio-dev] alsa mixing

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Wed Jan 10 16:02:11 UTC 2007

Paul Davis wrote:
> in general, you should forget about the h/w capabilities of an audio
> interface. for every user that has a device with some interesting
> qualities, there will be 10 who do not.
>
> welcome to winmodem for audio ...

Well, in this particular case, let's just see what the generic user out
there probably has. In quite a lot of cases it's some SoundBlaster
Audigy2 or X-Fi variant which both have somewhat extensive signal
processing capabilities (or that's what I've understood). Or you could
take ancient Aureal's Vortex2 as an example. Or also rather common
CMI8738 (not sure about this one). Current Linux support for these
devices is limited to PCM playback/recording and possibly bare MIDI.

Currently the thing we really are missing on Linux is HAL support for
something like OpenAL w/ EFX (or some DirectSound3D-for-Linux type
thing). Having this is somewhat crucial for game development. This is
also something OpenSL ES (http://www.khronos.org/opensles/) is trying to
address on embedded area.

	- Jussi