[linux-audio-dev] alsa mixing

Milan Mimica milan.mimica at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 00:09:39 UTC 2007

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> To do the hardware mixing, one simply opens the alsa device name, e.g.
> "plug:front" multiple times, and the hardware will mix them together.

I know so far. But I would like to get a bit more from ALSA. For
example, open a 'slave' 2-ch device, and open some mono subdevices that
will be 'routed' to that slave, according to 'route table'. ...If you're
familiar with ALSA terminology.

Something similar can be done using .asoundrc configuration file, so I
assume that the code exists. Furthermore, there is ALSA plug-in API that
lets me create a 'routed' subdevice. The only problem is that, once set,
the 'route table' cannot be changed.

As it has been said in this thread, this is probably out of ALSA's domain.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net