[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAD/LAU/LAA/Consortium/...

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 17:57:05 UTC 2007

> *I* suggest moving to forums as *I* think it's better way to exchange the info
> than those 90-tish, Mailman powered, mailing lists where you can't even
> search for posts or whatever.

Personally, ever since switching to gmail which handles lists using
tags and has excellent searching capabilities, I far prefer lists over
forums/boards.

However, I think it's sort of silly to have to chose at all. Mailing
lists and boards are so similar, there's no reason you can't just have
both.

For instance, there is a plugin for phpBB that allows people to sign
up to the board and treat it like a mailing list.  Of course, since
mailman is probably a better mailing list handler than phpBB, it would
be better to have some sort of web-based interface to the mailing
lists (still handled by mailman), accessible through linuxaudio.org.

Anyone know of a good solution for that?

By the way, there is at least the risk that web-accessible forums will
increase spam risks.  Usually requiring registration helps with that,
but I don't know if its enough.

Steve