[linux-audio-dev] Sound processing objects architecture, is it possible?

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:08:46 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I'm quite new to sound-related programming, but however I have an idea
which could interest some of you, but I don't know if it's possible to
develop such thing.
What I'd like to work on is a sound processing architecture (LADSPA,
VST, DSSI, etc.) wrapper, which hides the details of a particular
implementation to audio program developers.
The whole thing could be made of a library to be used directly by
audio developers in their programs, one or more configuration files
used to retrieve directories in which plugins are placed and other
stuff, and modules which contain implementation details for each
processing architecture.
The library could also contain some code to "trap" particular kinds of
functions (for example Xlib functions to embed plugin GUIs inside
programs).
I think that the advantage of all of these stuff is to enable programs
to use any kind of processing object (they could not only be loadable
modules, but also text files or whatever), to collect "information" on
how to implement a certain processing object type just in one place,
and, last but not least, to ease creation of new standards and
comparison of existing ones.
What do you think about it?

Sincerely,

Stefano D'Angelo