[linux-audio-dev] Sound processing objects architecture, is it possible?

Steve Harris steve at plugin.org.uk
Wed Jan 24 15:53:42 UTC 2007

On 24 Jan 2007, at 15:06, Jay Vaughan wrote:

> At 20:08 +0100 22/1/07, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
>> What I'd like to work on is a sound processing architecture (LADSPA,
>> VST, DSSI, etc.) wrapper, which hides the details of a particular
>> implementation to audio program developers.
>
> Nice idea.  Already done:
>
> http://teragon.org/products/PluginCore/
>
>> What do you think about it?
>
> Would be nice if there were a GPL effort in the same way ..

Hum. I'm reminded of the often used thought process: "hmmm, there are
way to many standards in this area, what we can do to improve things
is add another, that would be great!".

The way to help, IMHO, would be to make the existing systems
compatible, using bridges/reflectors/wrappers, rather than creating
more specs.

- Steve