[linux-audio-dev] Re: Sound processing objects architecture, is it possible?

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed Jan 24 19:56:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> Paul Davis:

>> >  Nice idea.  Already done:
>> >
>> >  http://teragon.org/products/PluginCore/

>> >  Would be nice if there were a GPL effort in the same way ..
>>
>>  ARDOUR::Plugin ?
>>
>>  which currently wraps VST, LADSPA and will soon do either LV2 or
>>  DSSI ...
>>
>>  yeah, ok, so its partly in jest, but not entirely.
>>

> Another one is the "Juce Audio Plugin Framework", which
> wraps VSTs, RTAS and AudioUnits.
> http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/download.php
>
> It doesn't support ladspa though, but Julian said that he should
> look at LV2. (He also said that he hadn't heard of LV2 before,
> so maybe he hasn't heard about ladspa either. :-) So if someone
> request ladspa, he might do that as well...)

Looking more closely at both PluginCore and the Juce Audio
Plugin Framework, the latter is actually a GPL effort in the same
way[1], except that it supports RTAS which PluginCore doesn't.

So what you thought would be nice actually exists, except that
the GPL alternative supports more formats. :-)

[2] They are both wrappers to _write_ plugins, while Ardour
is a wrapper to _run_ plugins.