[linux-audio-dev] Apologies (was: Re: an relevant link about Vista)

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 12:49:39 UTC 2007

On 1/25/07, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa at gmx.net> wrote:
> > We need more moderators on the list, mail me ;-)
>
> Hey ho, thought police! Let us all think right and be right and have
> someone else decide on what that 'right' actually means!
>
> What I'm getting at is, you have absolutely no way of knowing whether or
> not Israel actually is an Apartheid state, or how that might or might
> not be relevant to this list.
>
> What's with the people who might want to write a song about Israel
> and/or Apartheid? Oh right, that's not important, we have more important
> things to do, we are all about National Security, and stray thinkers are
> a danger, so we must silence them with whatever means necessary to us.
>
> So in come the moderators and you have to watch your step around here
> before you say anything about Jews or you get busted.
>
> Now personally I couldn't give a bit more about what Jews aren't or are
> doing, but it seems every time you mention them everybody goes nuts.
> What goes? What's REALLY behind this?
>
> Carlo

I think I own everyone an apology for being part of all the fuss that
has been going on the list for a few days now.

When I wrote the above quoted sentence I did not imagine the
(disproportionate) consequences this would have, and more importantly
never intended to imply that a moderator was here to control if what
was said on the list was right or wrong thinking. Although I do think
that as a moderator and administrator myself I need to make sure a
certain ethic is respected, the best way to deal with the original
problematic message was just to ignore it, since the replies only
caused a flame war.

Concerning the need to decrease the work load of moderating the list,
I propose another approach :
As discussed previously on the list, we will certainly move to
linuxaudio.org. Let's use this opportunity to tune mailman to our
needs. There are not so much actual message that fall into the
'in-need-of-moderation' category. There are two actually : non-member
messages and HTML messages. The biggest part of the job is to filter
spam. My idea is to find a way to tweak (or apply an existing patch
to) mailman so that messages marked as spam get discarded
automatically, and also to be able to feed spamassassin with new spam
samples directly from the moderation page.

If you are willing to help, if you know of an existing solution or if
you happen to have ideas concerning this, please, drop me an email. It
is as of this momment the best way to help, and is the first step
towards making moderation faster for every one.

Again accept all my appologies.