[linux-audio-dev] Old hat - comparison against windows

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Jan 31 19:44:48 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Michael Ost <most at museresearch.com> wrote:
> Now it is time for a leap to a newer OS --- 2.4 isn't giving us SATA
> drive support and our Wine is getting old (vinegar? %). Our code could
> do Windows pretty easily. Should I push for that, or move to a newer Linux?

I would say it depends on how much Windows would cost per unit, and
whether you can tolerate being at the mercy of vendors and Microsoft
to fix any bugs you find.

However I didn't realize that you were using 2.4.  2.6 with the -rt
patches should definitely give better latency than Windows.  In fact
it's capable of uselessly low latencies like 0.66ms on some hardware,
which is exactly the kind of thing the marketing guys love ;-)

Lee