[LAD] VST plugin

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 21:47:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 23:25 +0200, Luis Garrido wrote:
> > An example may clarify things:
> > with this software (or plugin or whatever it will be) I record a short
> > drum sequence. When I finish recording I have on the screen an object,
>
> Then a plugin technology, like VST or LV2 is not the most advisable
> tool, IMO. Go for a stand-alone application. Linux audio architecture
> is very flexible, so you can afterwards route the input/output of your
> application to any place you wish.
>
> If you want audio I/O, jack is your friend.
>
> http://jackaudio.org
>
> If you want MIDI I/O, then alsa-sequencer is the most popular choice.
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/~frank/alsa-sequencer/

The most popular until now, but that's because there hasn't been an
alternative. For anyone starting to write a audio/MIDI program today
it's probably a lot easier to use JACK for both audio and MIDI (and with
the -X seq driver option in the SVN version of jackd you can connect
JACK MIDI and ALSA sequencer ports to each other).

> > I think it would be helpful a timeline where I can drag objects and it
>
> Then you need a GUI toolkit. GTK or Qt are the most popular and there
> are supported by many languages. In general I would recommend GTK for
> C projects and Qt for C++, but others may think differently.

Yes. I'd recommend GTK for C and gtkmm for C++. =)

> If you want your application to routinely interact with others, you
> may want to incorporate the LASH session protocol:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/lash/

This is a very good idea.

> > Suggestions? Critics? Insults? :\

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

> PS: for the rest of the list, isn't this basic startup info gathered
> in any LAD-FAQ out there? Together with an equivalence between Linux
> and Windows audio technologies it would be a good jump start for
> newcomers.

I don't know if there is a hacker's FAQ somewhere, but it would
certainly be useful. It could also have some longer tutorials on how to
write an effect plugin, how to write a synth etc.

--ll