[LAD] 2.4 vs 2.6

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:02:23 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 15:31 +0000, arisstotle.52613058 at bloglines.com
> wrote:
> > I've been working with the 2.6 series kernel now for some time with satisfactory
> > results ie (about 24 msec of latency and solid stability). I chose the 2.6
> > series because its the latest, and I wouldn't have to patch as much to get
> > support for my hardware (firewire alsa realtime etc...). But I've been reading
> > more and more about how the 2.4 kernels can outperform 2.6 when patched properly,
> > any truth to this?
>
> no truth. its an old data point, no longer valid. that is, assuming we
> are talking about RT-patched 2.6 vs. RT-patched 2.4. if you mean vanilla
> 2.6 vs. RT-patched 2.4, the latter is still better.

I'm not sure that is even true any more.  No recent data, but I tested jackd
extensively in about the 2.6.7 to 2.6.11 time-frame, and found those vanilla
2.6 kernels quite competitive with RT-patched 2.4 ones, at least on the
machines I was running at the time (all uniprocessors).

The very early 2.6.x kernels were another story.  :-)
--
 joq