[LAD] 2.4 vs 2.6

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 03:43:35 UTC 2007

On 7/21/07, . <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:

> > time with satisfactory
>
> > when
> > you all say RT Patched you mean realtime module built, loaded configured
> and
> > used by jack correct?
>
> please learn how to quote. heres a screenshot:
> http://whats-your.name/i/bloglines_blows.png

Some email software does not put who posted every time, relax, it really
isn't that big of a deal.

realtime isnt a module, its a big kernel patch. my experience (not on ia32)
> is that it usually either 1) doesnt compile 2) doesnt boot 3) freezes up
> some time during the boot sequence 4) freezes up some time afterwards. i
> havent tried mingo since about 2.6.18 though so maybe theres been a night
> and day change..

I have been compiling kernels since the 2.4 series myself.  All of the
2.6series, as the rt patch became availiable I compiled with it, and
have had
extremely good results.  The only times any of the above happened was
because of my own stupidity, I have never had it not compile.  Any time it
didn't boot was because of my own fault. Never had it freeze the boot
sequence, and any freezes I experienced afterwards(extremely few) I have
other suspects well in line before the patch.

         Seablade