[LAD] new lossless/lossy audio compressor

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Thu Jul 26 08:12:49 UTC 2007

Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> >   - Have you thought of putting your codec data inside other standard
> >     container formats like WAV, Caf and Ogg?
>
> Or Matroska. Ogg and Matroska are not (yet?) supported by libsndfile,
> though.

Unfortunately, Ogg seems to be a surprisingly difficult. To fit
easily into the libsndfile view of the world libsndfile needs
to be able to find out how many frames of audio are in the file,
preferably without doing too much seeking about.

So far I have only tried to do OggFlac and haven't managed to get
very far. I don't know if this is something specific to OggFlac or
more generally a property of Ogg. However, I do know that two
people have tried to add OggVorbis to libsndfile without being able
to complete the task.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo