[LAD] simulating analog audio devices

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Fri Jun 1 08:55:37 UTC 2007

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Robin Gareus wrote:
>
>> hey LADs.
>>
>> For those of you who have not followed the 'fuzztone' thread on LAU. I'd
>> like to announce a /cool hack/ to ngSpice that provides soundfile I/O
>> capabilities. - it's more a LAD than a LAU issue anyway.
>
> This is a CoolAsAllFsck (tm) hack as far as I am concerned.
> Congrats.
>
>> Simple tests sound rather promising; but my fuzztone experiment is not
>> really satisfying yet. well, maybe it's just meant to sound *that* weird
>> ;)
>
> I used Spice as part of my engineering degree and also in jobs
> later, but my memory of this is definitely hazy.
>
> However, my memories of how spice works is my discretizing the
> differential equations that describe the components. I believe
> the specification of the time step determines how fine grained
> (in time) a grid will be used for operating on the diff
> equations.
>
> One thing you might have missed is matching up the samplerate of
> the input file with the time grid of the spice calculations.
> You alos want to be *really* careful about how you interpolate
> the file data to spice sample rate. Please, please, please, do
> not use linear interpolation. Secret Rabbit Code is probably
> the way to go here.

All spices I use (although this excludes ngspice) have an option to
force them to calculate the response at specified timesteps (along with
the ones they need for accuracy). In this case it seems obvious to set
this timestep to 1/Fsample. Then use only the values at these timesteps.
This is way better than interpolation because the differential equations
are actually solved at these points.

Greets,

Pieter