[linux-audio-dev] Getting out of the software game

Gordon JC Pearce wsynth at gjcp.net
Wed Mar 14 14:32:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 10:21 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> Binary drivers make the kernel impossible to debug, and if the kernel
> devs created such a DBI, vendors would stop releasing open source
> drivers and pretty soon Linux would be no more stable than Windows.
> Why should Linux sacrifice stability just so vendors can keep their
> hardware interfaces secret?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I *DON'T FUCKING CARE* what the
manufacturers do or don't do with their hardware interfaces.  What I
*do* care about is having X break every couple of days because some
kernel update.  I have neither the time nor the inclination to try and
work round other people's hangups.

I flattened my Linux PC, and along with it all the source and svn
repository.  I only really need Thunderbird, Firefox, Bluefish and gvim
to get my real work done, and they work just fine in FreeBSD (and indeed
NetBSD, my OS of choice).

Anyway, rant over.  It's gone now.  I'm going back to concentrating on
hardware synths and analogue recording.

Thanks folks,

Gordonjcp