[linux-audio-dev] promoting LAC 2007

Carlo Florendo subscribermail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:44:35 UTC 2007

Steve Harris wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2007, at 16:01, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 04:17:16PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe one day there will be a Linux version of Live, but it's
>>> not something I particularily look forward to, as I wouldn't
>>> use it anyways unless it gets opensource'd.
>>
>> There are probably many of us thinking the same way.
>>
>> But the sad fact is that if all Linux users do this, then
>> Linux will forever be an 'amateur' platform. From the PoV
>> of a professional audio user (i.e. one who makes his/her
>> living by providing services in that area), if a product
>> does the job and has the right price, there is no good
>> reason for not using it.
>
> I mostly agree, but in some ways the acceptable quality of the linux
> audio offerings makes proprietary software less necessary. OTOH, for
> processing photos I mainly use proprietary software (Lightroom, Bibble
> [on Linux] and Capture NX), as the free software options are simply not
> up to the job. For comparison the only proprietary music software I use
> is to control some dedicated synth hardware.

The potential of using Linux to compete with proprietary music software is
enormous.  Perhaps, the music technologies are still young that's why we
have not yet seen impact of Linux music software in the professional music
world.

I agree that there is a very limited audience of those who use Linux for
their music creation needs.  We will need dedicated programmers to focus on
particular fields in order to create software that will be even better than
non open-source software.

I will have to admit that I resorted to start programming music
applications in Linux because of frustration from the win32 API and the
limitation of the windows sound API.

It took me some months to be able to come up with my own implementation of
the MIDI protocol and to be able to play with ALSA.  However, those months
and the years of preparation before that, made me realize that a
combination of music knowledge and linux programming knowledge can result
in the creation of good music software.

Passionate musicians who are at the same time passionate and hard-core
Linux programmers are probably few, but given  a little bit more time, I
see Linux as a music platform that will directly compete with the world's
most known audio and music brands.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City