[LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:45:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 12:44 -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> The end user will have some plugins that are 'LV2' that will work in
> some 'LV2' hosts but not others.  How are they to know?  Will they have
> to have 'LV2 and supports these features' that they will have to check
> off every time to see if it should be working or not?
>
> Or 'Profiles' that fit a certain set of features?

You could have meta-extensions that were simply a collection of other
extensions. "To support this extension, a host must support extensions
A, B, and C". Or something like that.

> Perhaps LV2 should by default include extensions that encompass the
> points brought up here instead of dismissing them as capable of being
> done, as if they can be done in one host, not nesseccarily in all, then
> you have one giant mass of confusion in as far as what plugins can be
> sued here, there or whatever, and instead of a standard plugin format,
> we have a giant clusterf**k.

I don't think there is any huge danger of that happening. People will
probably mostly use a few popular hosts, plugin writers will make sure
that their plugins work in those hosts (if feasible) and host writers
will try to support as many plugins as possible. I guess it depends on
how creative (or how disciplined) LV2 programmers are.

There is a good argument against having a large core specification; the
larger it is, the harder it is to write hosts, and the fewer hosts will
be written.

--ll