[LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Thu May 10 01:47:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 19:51 -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Dave Robillard <drobilla at connect.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
> > Regarding the one sensible thing you /have/ said:  is sample rate as a
> > double sufficient, or is there a good reason for numerator/denominator
> > (that outweighs the PITA for the plugin author)?
>
> I'll play "dumb user" on this one...
>
>   Are there useful sample rates that can be expressed more accurately
>   with a pair of 32-bit integers than by a double?
>
> If so, programmers who don't care about the extra accuracy could
> presumably convert the ratio to a double in one line of code (at the
> cost of a single division operation).  That does not seem excessive,
> assuming there are real-world examples where the extra accuracy
> would help.  Are there any?

The only thing I can think of is if a plugin is doing resampley things
and works with wav files.  If your sample rate is 48000/44100 and your
wav file is 44100.. well, you know /something/ you wouldn't know if it
was a double I guess.  I can't think of any case where that 'something'
would actually be useful though, it's always going to get converted to a
double anyway.

Fons?

-DR-