[LAD] The Linux On Yamaha's New XS

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Fri May 25 06:31:27 UTC 2007

Janina Sajka wrote:
> My interest and hope is to access display data over the builtin
> ethernet tcp/ip connection in order to provide a speaking alternative
> interface for blind musicians (like me). This seems emminently possible
> except that Yamaha have locked all ports by default--I know, I nmap'd
> it.
>
> Still, they chose to build the XS using Linux. And they clearly have
> chosen more f/oss tools, at least Samba is also clearly there judging by
> the options available in the Network configuration menu.
>
> So, how to gain access?

Are you asking how to crack the Linux firewall?  ;-)

> How to get some small shell on board?

Get the source code, make your own OS with a shell, then replace the
ROM (or wherever the OS is stored).

> I should think the source is a place to start. It's clear they know
> they're under the GPL here, because they publish it in Chapter 34 of
> the User Manual.
> But the source ... ... ? ? ?

The have to provide the source code only when they distribute a binary,
i.e., to somebody who has bought the device.  The GPL then allows the
buyer to publish it, but this is not required.

Try asking some XS owner for the source, or buy one.

BTW: Nothing guarantees that you'd actually be able to successfully
replace the ROM.

Regards,
Clemens