[LAD] LV2 realtime safe memory pool extension

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 11:46:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 14:24 +0000, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
> From user perspective, either everything should fully work everywhere
> (at least to some degree), or determining compatibility should be as
> simple as possible (ie. plugin says level 3 and host says level 4 - so
> the plugin will work well in that host). Musicians aren't necessarily
> technically-minded, and some stuff, even simple to us, may simply scare
> them off, just because it *seems* complex :)

That may be a good idea for the future, but for now it's more important
that the core spec is released. After that anyone can define extension
sets or compatibility levels. The core spec has taken too long already,
if it has to wait for more extensions and other additonal structure it
will never ever be finished.

> 3) when - say - 100% of hosts support level 1, 50% of hosts support
> level 2 and 25% of hosts support level 3, the plugin authors would first
> want to make use of level 2 additions, then level 3 additions etc -
> basically, concentrate on this kind of work that makes the most of end
> users happy with them (as in: what's the point of doing level 4
> additions when no host does level 4 - except for doing it for fun)

That is the sole reason I do any hacking at all. =)

--ll