[LAD] Terminology problem

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Nov 14 21:49:52 UTC 2007

Not sure if this is a hard problem, or if I'm just being extra stupid
today...

Assume we have a 2D addressing scheme for addressing Ports on a
plugin. A Port here can be a connection that sends or receives a
single mono audio stream, control data for a single parameter, or
something like that.

The first dimension is similar to MIDI CCs, or the different types of
controls in a mixer strip. The coordinate indicates what kind or
group of control/port/whatever we're talking about. Examples: "Master
volume control" (probably just one of these) and "channel pitch
controls" (one per channel, obviously). On a (normal) studio mixer,
we'd be talking about a horizontal row of controls, all of the same
kind.

The second dimension is similar to MIDI channels, synth voices, or
mixer channels, depending on context. I'm calling all this "Channel",
as that's the least domain specific name I can think of that still
makes sense. Basically, when you have multiple indentical internal
objects, this is how you address the instances.

Now, what do I call the first dimension, *before* specifying what
channel I'm talking about? How do I address "the Volume CCs of all 16
MIDI channels", or "the PFL buttons of all mixer strips?" I'd like a
short, logical, non-confusing name for this, but I can't seem to
think of one.

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |