[LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

Krzysztof Foltman wdev at foltman.com
Fri Nov 30 00:11:48 UTC 2007

Dave Robillard wrote:
> We will want that eventually, but it's officially Hard(TM) :)

No doubt it is. But it's the result of your own choice, so better don't
complain too much ;)
> Dynamic URI<->int mapping is probably a good thing.  Raises issues
> though - maybe an acceptable compromise is that the existing ones never
> change, but ones can be added?
Look at the part you've just quoted (or see below)

> as long as the only URIs that may appear in updates are new URIs (there are
> no reassignments or deletions).

No reassignments or deletions. Just add, no change/remove.

But, actually, I can see some purpose for deletion - when a host stops
supporting some event type coming out of a plugin. Which tells me we've
concentrated too much on host-to-plugin direction, and not enough on
plugin-to-host or plugin-to-plugin (basically: communicating what event
types are actually *wanted* on an event output port!)

But, worst case is that host would have to ignore the event types that
are not valid anymore. It would be inefficient for the plugins, sure.
But somehow, I don't see anyone will care. Not with current temperatures
in hell.

Krzysztof