[LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

Krzysztof Foltman wdev at foltman.com
Fri Nov 30 00:30:58 UTC 2007

Dave Robillard wrote:
> I /really/ don't like screwing around with MIDI.  Just make the events
> pure, raw MIDI.  Jack MIDI events are 'just n bytes of MIDI', Alsa has
> functions to get at 'just n bytes of MIDI', and... well, it's just MIDI.

However, it also has its own age. And limitations. In particular, the
amount of per-note control is pitiful.

I can always use hacks to get around the limitations, or introduce a
per-note control via separate "set note parameter" event type. But hacks
are ... hacky, and the extended extension of extension for every single
feature is a bit inelegant too.

Anyway - so far, I have no code that would make use of this, so we might
keep it as plain MIDI. And then we have next 5 years to decide the
details of the feature. In the meantime, maybe the MIDI guys will decide
for us :D

Krzysztof