[LAD] Re: [LAU] FIC neo1973 linux mobile

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:45:48 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Robert Jonsson <rj at spamatica.se> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Lots of talk today about linux mobiles on the internets. Apparently
> Trolltech has ported Qtopia to the neo1973 linux mobile. Interesting
> news in itself.
> Even more so the neo1973 seem to be a very interesting device in itself.
>
> I only very quickly glanced through the specs on the openmoko site, it
> looks to be a very capable device with interesting possibilities.
>
> Apart from pretty much all mobile devices I know it seems to have USB
> host-controller possibilities which should make it possible to connect
> an USB soundcard to it. Would make a splendid recording/playback device.
>
> Also, on this page:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_Audio_Subsystem there are some
> schematics of the audio hardware which also seem interesting. Possibly
> there's both stereo line in and stereo line out, the inputs seems to
> route through some "Voice codec" "thing" though...
>
> Anyone know anything more about this device?

Hi Robert,

I've been following this project for a while now (I'm waiting the
release of the public version of the Neo in October to get one), most
of the useful info is on the wiki. I won't recommend the chat room on
freenode. It's far from being as interesting as #LAD ;-)

Anyways... What I think is that is would make perfect studio remote
controle (in addition to a phone) since it has a touch screen.

Fact : Did you know that Apple had the idea of the iPhone a few weeks
after Sean Moss-Pultz (the project leader at FIC) made a public
presentation of the openmoko project ? Funny...

BTW, I managed to build a jack package for an emulated Openmoko system
in a matter of minutes. I'm sure I've lost the package since then, but
just so you know jack runs out of the box on an arm (if compiled
without any optimization of course).

CCed to LAD since some people might find this interesting...

Cheers !