[LAD] question on dynamic linking

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Sep 27 12:45:20 UTC 2007

Quoting nescivi <nescivi at gmail.com>:

> Hiho,
>
> I am having a discussion on the supercollider front about what is the
> proper
> way for dynamic linking.
>
> as far as I know, you use ldconfig and have the library location that
> programs
> dynamically link to defined in /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> but what is supposed to happen if the user just installs the program to a
>
> directory in his home directory?
> how should the dynamic linking be defined?

Ardour installs it's own version of the included libraries in it's own
directory, PREFIX/lib/ardour2/, and the executable it installs in
PREFIX/bin/ is actually a shell script. That script uses the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable to make sure the version installed with ardour are
loaded. After setting that varible, the script installs the actual binary
which is also installed in PREFIX/lib/ardour2/ .

I think this is the proper way to do it. It is also the way programs like
firefox do it (as a quick 'less $(which firefox)' will tell you).

  Sampo