[LAD] optimum binary distribution (was: vectorization)

Richard Spindler richard.spindler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:58:12 UTC 2008

2008/4/17, Christian Schoenebeck <cuse at users.sourceforge.net>:
>  That's why I was thinking about a little different approach for binary
>  distributions: just precompile some part of the audio application (/most of
>  it) and actually compile the core elements (the ones that are crucial to
>  overall performance) on demand by the user. Because I agree compiling a whole
>  complex audio app is usually an unconvenient user-unfriendly task, especially
>  because all of those library dependencies and system specific path locations
>  etc. the user has to deal with and the long time it takes to compile the
>  whole beast. But with such a partly precompiled solution you (as a
>  distribution package maintainer) can already take away those hairy tasks,
>  because the few core elements that are going to be compiled by the user will
>  only have fery few dependencies left: the applications own library (which is
>  already there anyway) a compiler and very basic standard header files like
>  math.h which are usually there on a machine with compiler anyway. And since
>  those dependencies are so small, it wouldn't be a hard task to integrate such
>  a build system into the application itself, so the user just has to adjust
>  the CXXFLAGS in a line input box or something and press the "Recompile"
>  button.

This sounds really cumbersome. And some very widely used distributions
do not install a C-Compiler by default.

What do you think about the approach taken by "liboil"?
http://liboil.freedesktop.org/

The library has implementations for various CPU-Extensions, and at run
time, when the library is initialized, a set of function pointers is
set to point to the "right" implementation functions.

Cheers
-Richard

--
Don't contribute to the Y10K problem!