[LAD] vectorization

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Apr 17 17:02:01 UTC 2008

Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen at comhem.se> writes:

> On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 22:41 +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
>> You are not really following what I am trying to get across.  Cross compilation
>> isn't the issue.  The issue is that something as generic as i386 (or i686 for
>> rpm based distros IIRC) actually targets a lot of different types of hardware.
>> It can run on pretty old pentium based CPUs, but also modern
>> systems.  A binary distributor has no way of knowing which
>> CPU is going to be used, ...
>
> The distributor has one tool at his disposal, the package-manager. This
> will know where it lives and could (potentially) choose the right
> package.

No.  If you optimize code, you will only have to special case
a few routines.  The greater hunk of the code will stay the same on different
variants.  So you do not want to precompile binary packages for
all sorts of special CPU types and feature, that would result in
a huge amount of data.
I am still convinced that runtime detection is a much more sensible solution.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'