[LAD] embedded high end audio

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Sat Aug 2 10:07:32 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 09:50:51AM +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> Le 2 août 08 à 02:29, porl sheean a écrit :
>>
>>> any ideas as to how long before we can hear any info on this thing you
>>> are working on? will it be compatible with jack? or is it possible to
>>> expand netjackmp to allow communication between arbitrary nodes
>>> without sending the audio signals to the master node and back out
>>> again? i thought it was possible to do this with the netjackmp
>>> implementation but as i said i don't know much on the actual technical
>>> abilities of it.
>> netjackmp is still point to point, but a more general model would be
>> interesting to develop of course.
>
> There's an added complication to the system I'm developing
> these ideas for. In this case all (identical) computers *do*
> have their own sound card. The cards are word-clock synced,
> but of course the jack periods are not.
> A second requirement is that two or more computers must be
> able to output (on their soundcard) a signal received from
> the network with exact sample sync.

I doubt that it is easy over a transport protocol that doesn't have a
global absolute time reference (like ethernet).

But FireWire can do this ;). It should not be that difficult to achieve
with the current FFADO code base. At one point this worked as a
'proof-of-concept', but it is not considered a priority at the moment.

Greets,

Pieter