[LAD] embedded high end audio

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Sat Aug 2 11:01:12 UTC 2008

Florian Faber wrote:
> Peter,
>
>> I doubt that it is easy over a transport protocol that doesn't have a
>> global absolute time reference (like ethernet).
>
> What time reference do you have in mind on ethernet that can be used as
> word clock source?

My formulation is a bit unfortunate. I mean that ethernet does NOT have
a global absolute time reference. And word clock is not a time
reference. It's a 'rate' reference, which does not contain absolute time
information. What you need to output signals on different devices with
sample accurate phase is an absolute time reference. Which ethernet does
not have.

Greets,

Pieter