[LAD] OT: alternative fuel for cars [was: Re: Car engine sound emulation for future electic cars. ideas ?]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Aug 5 11:40:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 23:23 +1200, Pete Black wrote:
> If you want a hydrogen car, you can visit tokyo and lease one from Mazda
> whenever you like.
>
> http://gas2.org/2008/06/20/mazdas-new-premacy-hydrogen-hybrid-rotary-engine-car-takes-to-the-road/

Interesting link. There is another company in Japan that is releasing a
purely hydrogen run car with no gasoline requirements. The fuel is
water, which is then converted to hydrogen gas via electrolysis and
burnt piped into the engine...

> Hydrogen engines have been in testing and protype production since the
> 80s by BMW and Mazda.. They're already here.  If you wanted to modify a
> mazda renesis crate motor to run hydrogen, all youd need to do is plumb
> a hydrogen direct injector into the periphery of the chamber, connect a
> megasquirt ECU and a wideband O2 sensor, fire it up and tune it. I don't
> know if its been done before outside Mazda, but youd get plenty of help
> on the megasquirt forums if you were serious.

There are several companies that provide conversion kits for any car to
run on hydrogen gas.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd