[LAD] need help with Java audio problem

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Aug 15 14:30:10 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I'm writing an article about Java sound applications, and I've run into
a problem.

HighC, FScape, and jein all demonstrate the problem: They appear to be
working as they should, but there's no audio output. According to
HighC's author, he uses only the recommended class for audio output. I
quote from our correspondence :

"All I do is call javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getLine() with the
default settings. It should work as is, that's what the Java spec says.
Perhaps the Java configuration files allow setting the default audio
device on Linux?"

So, what is the default audio device for Java 1.6 on Linux ? Is it
configurable ? If so, where do I find it and how do I set it ? (Btw, I
have the Sun SDK).

I also have HighC installed under Wine, along with the JRE 1.6 for
Windows. HighC works as expected there. I could not test jein under
Wine, it requires javac, which is not included in the JRE.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome, I'm totally clueless when it
comes to debugging Java.

Best,

dp