[LAD] Patching linux 2.6.26.3

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Aug 22 15:22:58 UTC 2008

Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Tim Goetze]
>
>> [victor]
>>> I was told to revert to 2.6.24.17 (not possible in my specific
>>> case, but there you go), in this list. Or to join the tuner's list.
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.26.3-rt2.bz2
>>
>> worked for me.  Applied cleanly and compiled well after turning off
>> some RCU-related preemption options that caused compilation errors,
>> but I was in no mood to find out the exact how and why.  So far, it
>> has collected a few hours of solid uptime too, but I haven't done any
>> latency measuring.
>
> Update: on my laptop, the patched 2.6.26.3 kernel boots into an
> endless list of tracebacks on the console.  On the main box, USB MIDI
> input is only read as soon as a key is pressed on the USB keyboard
> (the one with the letters, not the MIDI one ...).  USB MIDI out is
> broken, too.  So it's back to the old version.

ah, it seems i'm not alone.

i'm currently recovering myself from schock after returning from
vacation and while trying 2.6.26.x-rt for the rentrée it all seemed to
work fine except omg... midi timing is a wreck, specially wrt.alsa
sequencer. event delivery is completely fubar. i mean, completely. true
showstopper, whatever :(

cacophony seems to be the right word to express what it is.

however, didn't had the time to check whether NOHZ is at stake. i'm
certainly going back to 2.6.25.x-rt where things are still sane and
pleasant for a while.

btw, having NOHZ=y (aka tickless kernel) has been the norm here, since
its inception

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela