[LAD] Wireless Electricity vs audio quality

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Mon Aug 25 08:23:56 UTC 2008

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> After the latest Intel announcment that they are indeed working
> seriously on wireless electricity uses resonance to transmit hte energy
> sources I am wondering if anyone has ideas on whether that would affect
> audio quality as resonance is an important part of the ambience of live
> sound.

Wireless energy transfer:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

is acheived using electromagnetic resonant induction.

The resonance of live sound is acoustic resonance:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance

Since these two forms of resonance use different mechanisms
(electromagnetic waves vs sound waves in air) they do not cross
couple, hence there is zero chance for interference between them.

The possibility of interference in electrical/computer audio
equipment (which use electromagnetics) and the wireless electricity
transfer (which also uses electomagnetic waves) deserves far more
concern.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo