[LAD] Wireless Electricity vs audio quality

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 25 15:38:44 UTC 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 11:32 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
>> > I have doubt about the effect it will have on electrical equipment due
>> > to static RF as we are not dealing with rf signals in this case.
>>
>> Electrical equipment is not only sensible to the range you might be
>> referring here as radio frequencies. Electrical equipment is sensible to
>> _all kinds_ of frequencies as long as they come as electromagnetic waves.
>> And if they "tune" the energy-transportation-frequencies to the "exact"
>> value of metals (metals have a broad band of frequencies possible afaik),
>> they still also reach the frequencies of the metal in ad-converter, cpu,
>> memory, hard-disk, which all will pick up energy. Sounds like fun :-)
>
>EMF is distorted frequencies so in this case as the resonance is very
>specific to the frequency domain it should be controllable and hence not
>affect audio or electrical equipment with discharge or leakage.

Patrick, you are showing your lack of understanding of this phenom and how it
works.  The assumption is that the load is resonant at the frequency used, so
it very efficiently absorbs whatever magnetic fields there may be AT THAT
FREQUENCY.

By that definition, the most efficient transfer will occur when there is no
distortion, since all distortion products are either harmonically related, or
due to intermodulation and aliasing effects.  By that same definition, these
distortion products will not be well absorbed by the resonant circuit simply
because they are not at the operating frequency.

We won't discuss at length the distortion products created by a non-linear
load (such as rectifying it for DC power) effects, but they will certainly
exist in any situation involving a non-linear load.  Even the 120 hz
flickering of an incandescent lamp would be measurable given sensitive enough
measuring gear.  And it would effect the transfer efficiency because of it
when you were looking to get that last .001%.

This discussion is off topic, and occasionally hillarious due to the BS
content.  And I do enjoy a good BS session from time to time.  Usually over a
6 pack of suds, but that is another time & place.

Now, a discussion about pulseaudio OTOH, would be welcome, cuz I can't make it
work, it refuses to recognize my emu10k1 driven Audigy2 Value card at all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)