[LAD] Mind control hardware/software for Audio

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Thu Aug 28 06:00:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 09:34 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > The OCZ NIA (without any drivers) reports itself
> > in /proc/bus/input/devices as a standard HID (Human Interface Device),
> > after which it starts sending a steady stream of sensor-data, formatted
> > as a binary struct input_event (see linux/input.h)
> >

> So would it be best to convert this to osc for passing around control
> signals or midi or leaving it raw?

I have a NuLOOQ here that I convert to a joystick (using udev.) From
there, there are existing bridges to whatever if not direct support.

Regarding Nathanael's idea of "drum control at the wink of an eye": This
may not work as intended depending on the time-resolution of the device.
The NuLOOQ for instance, sends messages every 10ms from the lower 3-way
mechanical part - which is fine for pitch-bend/modulation control - but
drops to 20ms when you use the upper circular touchpad/jogwheel. IMNSHO,
latency/jitter in the 20ms range would be totally broken for triggering
drums.

But without having the actual device available for investigation, it's
quite impossible to form any opinion on its usefulness.