[LAD] IM like GUI for netjack

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Mon Dec 1 05:02:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:45:49PM -0500, nescivi wrote:
> Hiho,
>
> On Sunday 30 November 2008 22:32:10 torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

> > > Does irclib for python help?
> > > Creates a python irc client, which you can then have only the options you
> > > propose.
> > > Not jabber based though.
> >
> > this might be a very good alternative.
> > one would need to register a second nick on freenode for this i guess.
> >
> > it would still not be easy to detect the IP of a peer, if he was using a
> > cloak. i basically want to expose IP only if user agrees.
> > and detecting IP from inside NAT is not trivial.
> > not sure how i should tacke this. i there some service out there,
> > which can tell me my IP if i open a TCP connection to it ?
> >
> > if you have a solution for this, irc would become my choice i guess ;D
>
> Hmm... not really.
> Although.. sk wrote a http-tunnel for a project of ours once in ruby, to
> tunnel osc messages to the outside world, so I could control a remote
> scsynth, regardless of firewalls, that may be in between.
> But it required a server running a host script, which connected the tunnels.

TCP is nono.
netjack handles packet loss now. you dont even hear it with celt.

we should start talking about a wireless netjack soundcard.
i bet you have some use for that ;)
celt is ported to ARM.
and even support non-fpu.

> It's a bit convoluted, and may send audio streams around with some detour,
> depending where the server is, and where the participants are.
> But I'm sure linuxaudio.org would be eager to give some bandwidth ;)

no detours also. they add unnecesary latency and jitter.
we have the possibility for 10ms latency netjack on dfn.
why sacrifice with a tour through the states ? :)

> Maybe our LAC streamteam has some brilliant idea how to do this...
>
> sincerely,
> Marije

torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language