[LAD] [ANN] DRC 3.0.1

Denis Sbragion d.sbragion at infotecna.it
Fri Dec 5 10:22:49 UTC 2008

Hello Loki,

On Fri, December 5, 2008 00:17, Loki Davison wrote:
> Is the improvement worth the effort? :)

for the other question see the answers to Julien. Regarding this last one,
well, the effort may be quite huge, or a breeze, depending on your skill in
DSP, computer science, Linux and so on. Considering the average partecipant to
this list I expect this to be biased towards the second option. :) For sure
it's cheap: DRC is free, a decent mic is just few bucks, if you already have a
PC and a decent soundcard you're ready to go.

The improvements depends on your starting point. With an high quality audio
system placed in a heaviliy damped and properly treated room the difference
migh be no more than a refinement. Nevertheless it might be worth the effort
even in an excellent room. For example this is my current, heavily damped,
dedicated listening room:

http://itchef.infotecna.it/ListeningRoom/Foto/

This is, for example, the RT60 of the room:

http://itchef.infotecna.it/ListeningRoom/RT60-25ms-30dB.png

which is close to optimal. For a while I dreamed about getting rid of the
active correction, which is after all another issue to deal with. I did
everything conceivable to get the best results without DRC. After a while I
gave up, DRC is still there, and I changed my approach. Instead of trying to
get the best without DRC I configured everything to get the best with DRC in
place. Here you can find the (almost) final results:

http://itchef.infotecna.it/ListeningRoom/Misure/

Since those measurements there have been further refinements to the DRC
configurations, but the differences are minimal, the basic results are all
there.

Bye,

--
	Denis Sbragion