[LAD] Softsynths from Java

Luis Garrido luisgarrido at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 7 23:05:43 UTC 2008

> Wasn't that a very long time ago, like pre jre 1.5?
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4356787

Not sure about it, I never tried to interface a softsynth from Java in
Linux, but I compiled one of the examples at jsresources and got this:

http://www.jsresources.org/examples/MidiPlayer.html

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)

$ java MidiPlayer -l
Available MIDI OUT Devices:
0  Real Time Sequencer
1  Java Sound Synthesizer

but...

$ pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
128:0     AlsaModularSynth                  ams

So at first glance I got the impression that interfacing alsaseq from
a vanilla JVM is not exactly trivial. Again, didn't look too deep into
it, so I may easily have missed something.