[LAD] Problems with compiling

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 13 00:42:32 UTC 2008

Fred Gleason wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 02:46:41 pm Arnold Krille wrote:
>
>> I don't know how the package is called on suse,
>>

> Fire up YaST, click 'Software Management', then select 'Patterns' in the
> Filter control, scroll down to 'Development', and then check 'C/C++
> Development'.  Click 'Accept' and then let the system do its thing.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cheers!

Thank you Arnold and Paul :)

thank you Fred :)

I never had trouble to compile jack_snapshot before, for any distro, by
the way, normally it's in the repositories for Suse. What you suggest to
do, is what I normally do, but YaST2 for the 11.1 RC crashed, when I
tried this before you suggested it :D. I have the GNU C and C++
compilers installed, I was able to make an RPM for a 2.6.24-rt kernel
(resp. it seems to be broken), I got some warnings, but the kernel was
patched and compiled, when I installed it, initrd was missing, while
mkinitrd is installed. When I tried to install the jack-devel package
for 0.116.1 by zypper, nothing was installed, because there was the jack
package installed and zypper tried to install the 0.109 jack-devel
package. I could install the 0.116 headers by YaST2. I guess the release
candidate is too broken. I better stay at 11.0 and 64 Studio, I'm a
Linux C/C++ noob, but I never had a problem with patching a kernel or
compile simple tools like jack_snapshot. Normally it's noob safe, made
for me :).

I'm not a version junkie, I tried to set a 11.1 RC audio and MIDI
workstation, to have a 11.1 stable version howto, for everybody with new
hardware, who needs the latest versions.

I guess I will give up going on with it and see if audio and Linux is
fine with jack 0.116.1 for Suse 11.0 and 64 Studio.

Thank you again
Ralf

PS @ Paul: I don't think that jackd causes problems for my audio Linux
and I also guess that I don't have wrong settings for my sound card.
Someone from the 64 Studio list has got the same mobo and he bought a
new one, because of troubles with Linux.