[LAD] JACK for openSUSE 11.0 x86_64

Thomas Kuther gimpel at sonnenkinder.org
Tue Dec 16 10:42:48 UTC 2008

On Di, 16.12.08 06:12 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> What I'm thinking of, isn't to erase any package, but I hope I used
> the replace option not correct and that it will be possible to
> replace jack2 libs by jack libs, or if I like to get jack2 installed
> correctly, this hopefully will also be fine, if I know how to use the
> replace options in the right way. And I won't forget to run ldconfig.

I would definately clean it up. So, to sum up the "how to do this"..

1) Get rid of jack2 (that's jackdmp I guess)

# rpm -e --nodeps jack2 libjack2-0 libjackserver2-0

2) Just to be sure, also remove jack(1)

# rpm -e --nodeps jack libjack0 libjackserver0 libjack-devel
libjack0-32bit

(I agree with paul that this naming scheme is absolutely ridiculous,
on Gentoo it's called like upstream calls it: jack-audio-connection-kit)

3) Now make sure that there are no leftovers of
libjack* in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 and /usr/local/lib (who knows)

4) Then fire up YaST2, and make sure that you unset all ignored
conflicts! "Extras -> Ignorierte Abhängigkeitskonflikte zurücksetzen"

5) Reinstall jack by using either the suse-oss, or Jessi's rpm.
If you choose to use packman, use _only_ zypper, and never touch YaST
again afterwards! See below.

Hope that helps.
@ oc2pus, jack in packman is broken, or YaST is. I set up a fresh
install in a virtual machine using 11.1RC1 and only added packman.

Currently there is:
* pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.12-8.5
* libjack0-0.116.1-0.pm.1

Now if I tick the box in YaST to install "jack" it pulls in
libjackserver2-0 and jack, which of course breaks things, as it keeps
libjack0. zypper on the other side gets it right. See the screenshot!
http://gimpel.ath.cx/~tom/jack_weirdness.png

If I would let YaST go on with that, I would end up with a broken jack
install too :)

I you, Ralf, used YaST, it really wasn't your fault at all.

Regards,
Thomas