[LAD] JACK for openSUSE 11.0 x86_64

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 16 15:20:01 UTC 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 03:12 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> . If I don't have knowledge I have to
>> read and to ask, I just reported and asked, and get acidness.
>>

> no, thats not the issue. i think you don't understand that we (JACK)
> developers see these issues reported day after day after day, not just
> by you but by other people. they are all issues that, for the most part,
> we are powerless to affect. the issues are caused/created/affected by
> the actions of distribution packagers and can only be solved by them.
>
> it is incredibly frustrating watching user after user after user grapple
> with stupid system configuration problems that we did not create just to
> try to get JACK to run. whether its the complete lack of any way to get
> real time scheduling to work, or the wrong version of PAM or the wrong
> kernel or no version of limits.conf to edit, or no pre-existing user
> group, or an ancient version of JACK, or a version of JACK with a
> totally broken and utterly ridiculous library dependency name, or
> versions of JACK built with the wrong assembler options ... watching
> users struggle with this stuff is just incredibly frustrating and
> sometimes that spills over to our interactions with users.
>
> i for one am close to abandoning all efforts to provide support &
> assistance to people using JACK on anything other than a small handful
> of Linux distributions, because i am sick and tired of this ridiculous
> situation. its been nearly 4 years since we got mainstream kernels that
> were capable of supporting JACK and pro-audio/music apps out of the box.
> the fact that users today are still dealing with the total crapfest that
> we see every day on IRC and on the mailing lists is just totally
> unacceptable. i don't know whose fault it is (maybe its mine, i'm not
> ruling it out), but its a totally waste of everyone's time.
>
> distros: people want creativity apps on linux. for audio this means that
> you users will run JACK. with realtime scheduling priviledges. and they
> will possibly upgrade JACK before you do. fix it! please!

I never got acidness by jack developers. I'm a JACK user and for some
issues there is the need to report this to the developer list, e.g. bugs
like the JACK transport delay or things about the handling, like the
issue about name aliases.

A package problem or what ever the cause is, might be wrong at a
developers list, but audio users (and I guess developers sometimes too),
won't be in the right place with questions about audio, if they use
distro forums. I first googled and was linked to ...

"Hello
I made an upgrade of a Suse11-System with packman enabeled and jackd was
upgraded to 0.116.1. No jackd refuses to start with undefined symbol:
clock_source.

My next move was to install the official release from source. Yet to
noavail: the problem stays the same.

What could this be? (http://ardour.org/node/2271)"

The Packman package should not be the cause, said someone from Packman,
also it was declared that I don't have knowledge.

For 64 Studio there's a user list, but 64 Studio 2.1 stable is still
using JACK 0.103.

Users need a please were it's allowed to be stupid and because I have
some knowledge about versions (not about Linux in general) that the Suse
people don't have, I wished to have a forum on a board for users, but
there are such issues unwanted, that's why I asked were such issues are
wanted.

The answer is, that they are wanted at mailing lists, only on English,
like the 64 Studio one. But if users will have issues that are
interesting for developers too, than they need latest versions.

E.g. Tommi and I have 64bit hardware, Envy24 cards and jackd timeouts,
we never had with 32bit hardware before. My jackd are 0.103 and 0.109
and when I upgraded from 0.109 to 0.116, by using mouse-clicks for the
YaST2 GUI, my  Suse was broken. All because I don't have the knowledge
to click right?!

The 1. place to asked should be a forum for users, but what to do, if
you don't get help?

Which distro is the right distro for audio and MIDI users to use?