[LAD] Playing dice with IRQ's

Jean-Baptiste Mestelan mestelan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 21:39:34 UTC 2008

2008/12/19 Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen at comhem.se>:
>> grep irq /proc/asound/cards | tac | sed 's/.* irq \(.*\)/\1/'
>
> BTW: Do you have any idea what the rationale behind that 'tac' in the
> middle is?

Not really; but, by chance (?),  this gives acceptable results on my machine:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf5100000 irq 21
 1 [M44            ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 44
                      M Audio Delta 44 at 0xb000, irq 23

 # htop (mmh, how do I copy/paste a curses screen ??)
=> IRQ-23 gets to run with PRI=-86
=> IRQ-21 gets to run with PRI=-85
So, the Delta 44 gets privilege over the HDA Intel, which is what I
expect, as the latter only gets used for media playback (Firefox,
Mplayer and such).

Come to think of it, and as IRQ numbers *do* vary on boot, I am not
quite sure if this would be the case for every run ?
Also, I do not suppose that both soundcards could ever conflict, as I
generally do not listen to Flash videos on one card while doing
serious audio work on the other ?