[LAD] jack client autoconnection

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Feb 1 17:28:55 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen:
> Well, for the record, I am a professional user in every sense
> of the word you could imagine. I'm being paid to design and
> develop audio systems running on Linux, and that is my main
> source of income.
>

> If it works, and if it doesn't make a mess of the calibrated
> gains for each channel, and if you can convince the users of
> this system that they need it, you will be paid very well and
> then you can consider yourself a professional.

You can be as much of a professional user as you want to.
It doesn't change the fact that other professionals might
not want the system to behave like you do.

>A simple environment variable tested by
>all apps will do (e.g. something similar to 'EDITOR' which
>is used by most apps that need to start a text editor).
>
>Any app that directly connects to the sound card, without
>even offering the option not to do so, is like a musician
>walking into a studio and plugging his synth directly in
>the the control room's power amps. Even if he promises not
>to do that again next time, there's a good chance he won't
>be welcome anymore.

We agree about this. Snd has the environment variable
SND_AUTOCONNECT_PORT, or something, but a common name for
all programs would be much better.