[LAD] jack client autoconnection

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Sat Feb 2 21:29:04 UTC 2008

I want to clarify some things,

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 19:36 +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
>> > The one solution that will work is fully digital,
>> > MADI in, MADI out.
>>
>> Could also be a patch in jackd adding a DBUS-controlled volume control

As Marc already said jack dbus.patch is not adding functionality to jack
server (server - as the things that serves audio for jack apps) and
will never do that. This is from perspective of the scope of jackdbus
project.

Technically jackdbus is not replacement for the traditional command line
interface. It is alternative interface. Also it is *optional* feature,
[auto]detected and configurable by using the configure script.

I don't see jackdbus replacing the traditional command line interface
anytime soon (if at all). Also this is *not* a goal of the jackdbus
project.

> Please STOP all this discussion of coupling DBUS to JACK. JACK is a
> cross-platform tool. It is currently dependent on nothing but ANSI C and
> POSIX, though on OS X and Windows it does have to work aroudn the fact
> that those platforms' POSIX support isn't 100% usable for the same
> purposes as on Linux. That isn't go to change.

There are D-Bus implementations for Windows and MacOS X. Whether they
are usable and/or useful for JACK is another question. Technically it is
possible. I don't spend my time with those operating system and I dont
have required attitude to decide. Nor I have motivation to code for
these platforms.

> By all means talk about adding things to the JACK API that make things
> possible, but not in the context of DBUS, or CoreAudio, or ASIO or
> whatever platform-specific goat floats your boat.

I completely agree on this.

As for the "volume control in jack" feature, I'd prefer to keep jack
clean of it. If it gets there, as a "control" feature, it will be in
such place, that it can be made accessible though both libjack and dbus
interfaces.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>