[LAD] Summercode 2008: LASH, pt. 3

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Tue Feb 5 17:22:24 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen said:

> It's the same when you
> work in a physical studio: you can use any instruments
> you want, make any music you want, use all the effects
> equipment, but you're not allowed to modify the studio
> itself.

I'm not going to argue with your point, but I can come up with a number
of counter examples of modifying a physical studio during a session!

Putting the playback speakers out of phase so that the vocal mic could
be placed in a cancellation node in the live room - neat trick, try it!
- in order to accomodate a singer who could not wear headphones due to
an injury involved pulling the speaker to get to the banana plug.  The
signal to the amp had to be mono, and it was harder to get to the back
of the amp rack...

Some of my most fun in the studio (back in the days) was modifying the
studio!

--
"Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt."
--Sir William Cornelius Van Horne