[LAD] xaudio - AUDIO Extension for the X Window System

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Feb 10 19:06:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 12:52 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Hey LADs,
>
> Looking at the FOSDEM 2008 schedule I found a talk [1] about xaudio [2].
>
> I was surprised that xaudio has not yet popped up on LAD or LAU (or have
> I missed it?).  Has anyone checked that out already? Besides Desktop
> integration this could become quite interesting for tight audio/video sync.

This is what MAS was supposed to be. MAS got a lot of support from Sun
and other members of the now more-or-less defunct Xopen.org. MAS is
dead, to all effects and purposes.

I don't see any obvious signs that xaudio is destined to share a
different fate ... it would be nice if they could discuss MAS and why it
failed.

I also note that xaudio continues the tradition of "push model" APIs.
this is ironic when one of the hottest topics among x.org developers at
present is how to get vblank (vertical retrace sync) out to X clients
(thus allowing a "pull model" for video as well).

--p