[LAD] JACK & MIDI

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 16 14:06:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:43 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> With the release of Jack 0.109 we now have a (hopefully)
> stable API for midi-over-jack. This set me to consider what
> would be required to modify Aeolus to use this system.
> And I did not like the conclusions.
>
> Is it a good idea to insert a 30-year old data format
> that mixes real-time and general data on a single stream
> into a real-time audio processing API ? I don't think so.

Nobody else does either.

But: there is *no* other standard that exists to describe what MIDI
describes in a useful way that is even close to be remotely useful with
a variety of h/w and s/w.

So: we make do.

JACK MIDI was explicitly designed with the idea that it would *not* be
useful for large sysex messages. we looked at it and decided that it was
not possible to come up with an API that would serve both goals.

--p