[LAD] JACK & MIDI

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Fri Jan 18 13:07:26 UTC 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Seriously, there are three things that I profoundly dislike in MIDI.
>
> 1. The limited precision of almost all values, 7 bits or 14 with a
>    kludge (but even this kludge is not available in any standard
>    way for e.g. individual note frequencies).

Agreed. The MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS) was invented to fix that, but it
doesn't really help with the "12 notes per octave" limitation and, being
sysex, isn't really realtime, so it wouldn't be suitable to tune Aeolus
on the fly anyway.

So I guess the only real option for Aeolus right now would be to support
both MIDI (possibly via Jack) for the basic "I'm a 16 part MIDI organ
with 12 notes per octave" interface and OSC for dynamic voice allocation
and the advanced "I can play any n-tone temperament and even change them
on the fly" stuff. (I vaguely recall that this has been dicussed here
before, so maybe Aeolus already has an OSC interface?)

Just my 0.0002 semitones. :)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag